Sunday, March 09, 2008

Duke Bedevils Maryland in ACC Semifinals

Well that was not fun to watch as our run to our first ACC title in quite sometime was ended early thanks to our nemesis Duke. I have to give full credit to Duke as their zone defense confused and rattled us all game long. After an early spurt where we built a 10-point lead, Duke creeped its way back into the game and from that point forward we looked shocked and not into the game. This game reminded me a lot of the Rutgers game, as we let Duke dictate the tempo of the game and got more and more frustrated as our offense wasn't clicking. For the first five minutes we attacked the paint and drew fouls, yet after that we decided that if we couldn't get it into Crystal or Laura we would jack up shots instead of penetrating and going to the rim.

Things we need to work on before the NCAA Tournament:
1. Three-point shooting. Where has it gone the last few games?
2. Disregarding physical play. Duke muscled us and we wilted in the pressure instead of giving it right back. I don't know why this team shies from contact so much. The practice players should hit the girls on every pla the next two weeks.
3. Not worrying about the referees. Yes, they were awful yesterday, but we can't let affect us.
4. Defense. It was missing all weekend long and we consistently left shooters wide open for threes.
5. Penetrating the lane instead of taking long shots.
6. Marah or someone else needs to score. We can't play 4 on 5 in the tournament or we won't be making it out of the second round.

This was a game we should have won and we had our chances to win the game, but instead of reaching down deep and not letting Duke take control, we wilted and took bad shots.

Now that we are a two seed, we just have to wait until March 17 to see what regional we will be put in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too felt like I was watching the Rutgers game. With Black in foul trouble, I thought we would dominate inside. I love this team and am baffled when they can't get up and stay up for such big games. I thought maybe it was just me until I heard and read from the players themselves that they didn't work hard enough, hung their heads and got frustrated. I really thought this was our year to take the title. It shows me it's not just about talent, it's equally about mental toughness. I always think this team can come back but yesterday you could tell the other team wanted it more. In the NCAA Tournament I just hope they can come out with a killer instinct each and every game. Here's to looking ahead. Go Terps!

dsmas said...

I am afraid that yesterday was a result, or one of the results, of not having enough confidence in your bench to utilize it. Maybe before the NCAA starts, the coaching staff will realize, after all this time, that if the players that they recruited couldn't play at this level, then they wouldn't be there. I just hope they can get it together because this will probably be the last time, for a while, that they have the potential to go all the way.