Friday, February 13, 2009

Terps Avenge Earlier Defeat at Hands at Cavaliers

Last night was how the game in Charlottesville should have went. Let Virginia hang around and then blitz them at the right time to build a huge lead and come away with a victory. Coach Ryan decided she was going to run and gun with the Terps except we brought a machine gun and she brought pistol. In Maryland's losses this year it was teams who locked down on them defensively and forced bad shots, not played matador defense. I will take the win anyway we can especially when it adds up to another 20-win season and makes bballfan over at Rebkell pissed.

By my calculations a win by UNC tonight puts us first place in the league. UNC and us would be 2-1 against FSU, Duke and each other and since we hold the win over UNC it gives us the tiebreaker.

another great game by Coleman who is rapidly closing in on the 2,000 point mark. I will do my best to update the record chasers this weekend.

One of my loyal readers would like me to be more positive so here it goes:

What I liked
- Coleman's fire and intensity. Whoever gave her this recent pep talk needs to keep it up. She has played awesome the last several games.
- The backdoor cuts. It adds a new dimension to the offense and stops us from relying only on jump shots
- Taking the ball to the bucket. I think KT made more lay ups today than in her entire career. She keeps that up it will free up more opportunities.
- The lack of turnovers. Only saw a few lazy passes. some were telegraphed and some were players not coming to the ball.
- The defense. Littles and Wright were forced to take shots they didn't want to and were hounded on every play.

What I would have liked to see more of
- Rebounding. Getting outrebounded by 13 is not good and imagine what would have happened had we won the battle of the boards. One thing I noticed is that Kizer and Liles don't leave their feet to rebound. It seems as if they wait for the ball to come to them. That was ok in HS, but in college you need to be first to the ball. Rebounding limits the fastbreak and second chance points, which was about 28-4 last night.

Now on to Sunday for a matinee with struggling Rutgers.

2 comments:

xwomynjoc said...

Thanks Joey, This one didn't make me want to punch my computer after reading your game recap. I am forever the optimist.
bballfan is a MD hater to the enth degree and never has a positive thought about KT.

Joey Nations said...

I understand, I just always expect the best from the team and this far into the season we still make a bunch of mistakes.

I hope I haven't caused you to break your computer yet.