Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A week later and some tidbits

  • It's been a week since we treated the basketball like a hot potato. I apologize for not updating the site earlier. The first few days I was in remorse. Not that we lost, but the fact that we didn't care how bad we looked. The next few days I was just swamped with work.

    As far as how I felt with how we played: we flat out sucked. I give credit to Ole Miss who played the game of their lives and continued to bring the pressure whenever we made a run. Aside from that, what happened last Tuesday was a reflection of the whole season: we had this air of superiority all year that we could turn it on and off when we wanted too, unfortunately the bounces never went our way. We continued to flirt with falling behind hoping that our superiority would carry us to victory. The only way we won games was by blowing teams out early and then coasting to victory. In my mind, no one improved from last year and in fact I think we regressed as a team. Too many quick shots, not enough confidence to try something else. I saw the pictures of the team crying after the game, it's too bad it took a tournament loss for the team to show any emotion whatsoever. I hope for the team's sake, the loss makes each player hungrier and they stop taking winning for granted. November is a long ways away and it will be interesting to see how things unfold since then.

  • Coach Walz has left to take the head coaching job at Louisville and is taking Becky Bonner with him. Good riddance to both as instead of helping right the ship and take us to title #2, they decided to jump off now so that they didn't sink any further. (just kidding Coach, good luck and take care of Geno for us)

  • Marah and Drey will be playing in the McDonald's game tonight at 5:30 on ESPNU. Once again ESPN has decided that despite being the home of women's college basketball, a high school all-star game is not worth ESPN or ESPN2 coverage.
  • 1 comments:

    xwomynjoc said...

    Joey, why so bitter about Coach Walz's new head coaching job. Think on the bright side, maybe Brenda will hire another assistant who is even better. I hear LSU's Coach Starkey doesn't want to be a head coach. I think he could be a good x and o guy. I'm sure their are others out there who are looking for a great program to make a mark. These things happen when a team is successful. Keep your head up. I am.
    GO TERPS NOW THEY'RE REALLY HUNGRY!!!!!!!