Sunday, March 01, 2009

Terps Crown Miami to Take ACC Title

15 minutes into the game and you could already hear the managers preparing the champagne in the visiting lockerroom as the Terps were up by double-digits and Miami looked completely lost. (I doubt there was champagne but it's a good analogy) For the first time in 20 years, Maryland is the ACC Champion. Although the real titles they want will warrant another 3 and 9 consecutive victories.

Maryland now awaits the winner of NC State and Wake Forest on Thursday and then we go on from there.

It was funny to watch the game and see and hear more Terps' fans than Miami fans.

It was puzzling not to see Coach Floyd on the bench. I hope she gets over whatever illness she has in time for the ACC Tournament because I doubt anything else would keep her from being at the game that would secure the title.

I am sure you have seen the new poll I added to the site about ACC Player of the Year. I have a feeling we could split the vote and someone may swoop in and take it. My pick is for Coleman who has played so great the last eight games that she has pushed past Toliver as the team's most valuable player.

Things I liked
- Establishing other players. It seemed like the plan was to let Kizer take advantage of her height. There was also stretches where it seemed like Marah and the supporting cast were told to look to score before Toliver and Coleman did.
- The domination on the glass. Everytime I looked up a Maryland player was flying through the air. 52 rebounds has to be close to a season-high.
- Marissa driving to the bucket. Marissa saw the mismatch and routinely used her size and speed to take the Canes to the bucket over and over again.
- The defense. I think we forced Miami to do things they weren't comfortable doing and as a result they threw bad passes and tried to rush their offense.
- The Miami radio crew. They weren't biased and in fact I think they were more anti-Miami than anything else. I do want to know who was the source that revealed that Marissa and Kristi were top 10 WNBA picks. He/she could be the next Deep Throat.

Things I would like to see more of
- Practicing lay ups. too many easy shots were missed today. Luckily we got the rebounds.

0 comments: